• Twelve years ago, Prospero is “the Duke of Milan and a prince of power.”
• More interested in books than governing, Prospero gives Antonio, his beloved and trusted brother, control of Milan.
• Antonio’s “evil nature” awakes and with the help of Alonso, King of Naples, Antonio takes the crown from Prospero.
• Instead of executing Prospero, the usurpers cast him and his baby daughter, Miranda, adrift at sea in a rotten, tiny boat.
• Gonzalo, a kind Neapolitan, provides the castaways with food, water, clothes, and books. Father and daughter survive the voyage and land on an island, where, by use of magic, Prospero rules over the “man-monster” Caliban and the spirit Ariel.
• Twelve years pass. Prospero discovers that his old enemies are at sea and orders Ariel to raise a storm that will shipwreck them on the island and allow Prospero to work his revenge.
• Ariel reports that “not a hair perish’d” in the tempest and reminds Prospero of his promise to set Ariel free. Prospero tells him that if he follows orders, “after two days I will discharge thee.”
• Prospero, furious at Caliban for trying to “violate the honor of my child,” orders him to fetch wood.
• Ariel brings Ferdinand, King Alonso’s son, to Prospero and Miranda. Miranda says, “I might call him a thing divine, for nothing natural I ever saw so noble.”
• King Alonso searches for Ferdinand, whom he fears has drowned; Sebastian plots to kill Alonso and usurp the crown of Naples.
• On another part of the island, Caliban discovers the drunken butler, Stephano, and the jester, Trinculo. Stephano introduces Caliban to wine.
• Miranda and Ferdinand declare their love for each other, while carrying logs.
• Caliban persuades Stephano and Trinculo to murder Prospero.
• Prospero presents the young couple with a betrothal masque celebrating chastity and the blessings of marriage.
• Forgiveness, freedom, and a brave new world ensue.
|<< March 2015 >>|
Every Man in His Humour
Saturday, March 28, 2015, 2:00 pm
The White Devil
Saturday, March 28, 2015, 7:30 pm
The Taming of the Shrew
Sunday, March 29, 2015, 2:00 pm
Actors' Renaissance Season