Shakespeare Education: The Playhouse Insider Magazine
The Playhouse Insider
The Playhouse Insider is a new publication by the ASC, which will come out twice yearly, in the winter to preview the Actors' Renaissance and Spring Seasons, and in the summer to preview the Summer and Fall Seasons and the ASC on Tour. Our goal for this magazine is to provide the readers with a look into different experiences of early modern theatre at the Blackfriars Playhouse. We've solicited articles from ASC actors and artists, from renowned scholars, and from members of the ASC community in order to bring you a comprehensive behind-the-scenes look at the experience of playgoing at the Blackfriars Playhouse.
The Playhouse Insider is available in print in our Gift Shop (at the Blackfriars Playhouse or Online), for $10.50
Current Issue -- #5
Inside This Issue:
- "I do bite my thumbe, sir" -- Shannon Schultz explores textual variations on the opening fight of Romeo and Juliet and examines the effect those variations have on playing the scene
- The Tempest with Tentacles -- Actors Gregory Jon Phelps and Chris Johnston share their pre-rehearsal thoughts on Return to the Forbidden Planet
- "Language in Her": Recovering Cressida -- Asae Dean explores various constructions of Cressida, including Shakespeare's and her own in adapted play Cressida
- "What were't worth to know / The secret of your conference?" -- With the 7th Blackfriars Conference fast approaching, Dr. Carter Hailey shares his thoughts on what makes this the best academic conference around
- The (Knotty) Discourse of All's Well That Ends Well -- our own Dr. Ralph Cohen, director of this season's All's Well, shares some of his discoveries on how Shakespeare builds and confounds expectations in this complex play
- The Art of Laughing -- Kristin Clippard walks through the evolution of English comedy in Oliver Goldsmith's She Stoops to Conquer
- Playgoing in the 17th Century: Part 2 of Samuel Pepys's observations on the theatrical world of London in the Restoration
- "Therefore, every leader to his charge" -- an exploration of the ASC's Leadership Programming
- Issue #4: 2012-2013 Mega-Issue: articles on The Lion in Winter, King John, The Merchant of Venice, The Duchess of Malfi, Julius Caesar, The Two Noble Kinsmen, Cymbeline, Henry VIII, dramaturgy, and MBC's new MFA Company structure
- Issue #3: Winter/Spring 2012: articles on Richard III, Philaster or Love Lies A-Bleeding, Much Ado about Nothing, Dido Queen of Carthage, 'Tis Pity She's a Whore, pre-production at the ASC, and the experience of bringing the ASC on Tour to under-served regions
- Issue #2: Summer/Fall 2011: articles on The Importance of Being Earnest, Henry V, The Tempest, The Winter's Tale, Tamburlaine the Great, Shakespeare in the classroom, and life on the road with the ASC Touring Troupe.
- Issue #1 (Winter 2010-2011) (free PDF download!): Inside the Actors' Renaissance Season; articles on The Comedy of Errors, Look About You, 3 Henry VI, and A Trick to Catch the Old One.