Romeo and Juliet - Stuff that Happens in the Play
STUFF THAT HAPPENS IN THE PLAY
- Members of two feuding families, the Capulets and the Montagues, brawl in the city streets of Verona.
- The Prince promises death to those who “disturb our streets again.”
- Romeo, Montague’s only son, shows up after the brawl professing his unrequited love for Rosaline to his cousin Benvolio.
- Paris, a kinsman to the Prince, wants to marry Juliet, Capulet’s only child. Juliet’s father tells Paris that Juliet is too young to marry, but he invites Paris to a Capulet party and encourages him to woo his daughter and win her love.
- Benvolio persuades Romeo to crash the Capulet party so that Romeo will see women other than Rosaline.
- Mercutio, another kinsman to the Prince and Romeo’s good friend, leads Romeo and Benvolio to the party in masks.
- Tybalt, Juliet’s cousin, recognizes Romeo at the party and wants to throw him out, but Capulet orders Tybalt to leave Romeo alone. Tybalt vows revenge.
- Romeo meets Juliet at the party; they share a sonnet and a kiss, and quickly fall in love.
- After the party, Romeo escapes from Mercutio and Benvolio and he overhears Juliet at her balcony declaring her passion for him.
- From the balcony, Juliet tells Romeo, “If thy love be honorable, thy purpose marriage, send me word tomorrow.”
- Romeo tells Friar Lawrence of his new love and asks the Friar to marry them immediately.
- Nuptials, swordplay, banishment,