She Stoops to Conquer - Stuff that Happens in the Play
STUFF THAT HAPPENS IN THE PLAY
- Mr. Hardcastle’s second wife wants her son, Tony Lumpkin, to marry her niece, Constance Neville.
- Mr. Hardcastle makes plans for his daughter, Kate, to meet and marry the son of his old friend, Sir Charles Marlow.
- Kate’s friend, Constance, is secretly pledged to George Hastings, who is traveling from London to the Hardcastle home with his friend, Young Charles Marlow, the man Kate’s father wishes her to marry.
- While drinking and carousing at an inn with some friends, Tony Lumpkin meets George Hastings and Young Charles Marlow.
- Tony concocts a plot: he convinces the two gentlemen that they are lost, but that “one of the best inns in the whole county” is very close. He directs them to the Hardcastle house and tells them to pay no mind to the old Landlord.
- Hastings and Young Marlow treat Mr. Hardcastle as an innkeeper; Mr. Hardcastle, unaware of Tony’s trick, is appalled by the behavior of Young Marlow.
- Hastings runs into Constance. They realize Tony’s game, but they agree to pretend that Kate and Constance happen to be other guests at this “inn.”
- Marlow meets Kate, but is too shy and awkward to speak to her properly and he stumbles over his words.
- Marlow encounters a more simply dressed Kate and mistakes her for a barmaid. He is witty and charming when he thinks he’s talking to a barmaid, so Kate encourages the mistake.
- Meanwhile, Hastings accepts the Tony’s “help” to elope with Constance and her casket of jewels.
- More deceptions, mistakes of a night, and a happy ending ensue.