The Fall of King Henry - Stuff that Happens in the Play
The game of thrones ensues...
STUFF THAT HAPPENS BEFORE THE PLAY
• Richard Plantagenet, the Duke of York, leads a civil war against his cousin King Henry VI.
• Supporters of the House of York wear the symbol of the white rose; supporters of Henry’s House of Lancaster wear the red rose.
• England’s Wars of the Roses continues . . .
STUFF THAT HAPPENS DURING THE PLAY
• After winning the Battle of St. Albans, the Earl of Warwick urges York to take the English throne. King Henry arrives and offers for York to succeed him as king. York agrees. Queen Margaret is outraged that Henry has disinherited their son, Prince Edward.
• Two of York’s sons, Edward and Richard, urge their father to seize the crown immediately. They resume the war against Henry.
• Clifford, avenging his father’s death, murders York’s son Rutland.
• Margaret and Clifford capture and murder York.
• Richard fights Clifford to avenge his father and brother.
• Edward takes the throne and becomes King Edward IV. He names his surviving brothers Duke of Clarence, and Duke of Gloucester.
• Warwick leaves for France to arrange King Edward’s marriage to Lady Bona, the King of France’s sister-in-law.
• Margaret also leaves for France to seek help from the French king.
• Henry is captured and imprisoned in the Tower of London.
• Meanwhile, Edward decides to marry Lady Elizabeth Grey instead of Lady Bona.
• In France, Warwick learns of King Edward’s marriage to Elizabeth. Humiliated, Warwick switches sides and offers his daughter Anne to Prince Edward (Margaret and Henry’s son).
• Richard reveals his true ambitions and intentions.
• The game of thrones ensues.