Stuff That Happens in the Play
STUFF THAT HAPPENS IN THE PLAY
Stuff That Happens BEFORE the Play…
• Miss Laetitia Prism, a governess and blossoming novelist, makes an error in a cloakroom at London’s Victoria Station.
Stuff That Happens IN the Play…
• At his flat in London, Algernon Moncrieff prepares for the arrival of his aunt, Lady Augusta Bracknell, and her daughter, Gwendolen Fairfax.
• Algernon’s friend Mr. Worthing arrives unexpectedly. Mr. Worthing is in love with Gwendolen.
• Algernon is quite surprised to discover that his friend’s name is not actually Ernest, but Jack.
• Algernon tells Jack about “Bunburying,” a ruse he invented for escaping tedious social functions in London.
• Lady Bracknell and Gwendolen arrive. Jack (as Ernest) proposes to Gwendolen.
• Lady Bracknell interviews Jack to ascertain his eligibility as a suitor to her daughter. Lady Bracknell is alarmed about Jack’s unknown parentage.
• In the garden of Jack’s country house, his young ward, Cecily Cardew, and her governess, Miss Prism, discuss the need to reform Jack’s wayward brother Ernest.
• Algernon and Jack meet in the garden, under surprising circumstances.
• Gwendolen and Cecily meet in the garden, under equally surprising circumstances.
• In the morning room of Jack’s country house, revelations, confessions, engagements, and earnest trivialities ensue.