Director of Marketing and Communications
Director of Marketing and Communications
The American Shakespeare Center (ASC), a $3.7 million destination theatre and educational center seeks experienced candidates for the position of Director of Marketing and Communications. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications serves as a member of the ASC’s senior leadership team. Through effective communication of the mission, vision, and programming activities, the Director of Marketing and Communication develops and executes strategies to generate all earned revenues including ticket sales in the Playhouse, educational programming, and ASC on Tour while also leading a staff of 5 full-time professionals in marketing, public relations, box office management, group sales, and graphic design. The Director of Marketing and Communications plays a leading role in the ASC’s strategic planning initiatives which currently include increasing patron loyalty and retention, growing new audiences, and increasing the visibility of the Center within the public, scholarly, and theatrical spheres. The Director of Marketing and Communications will also lead the strategy for promotion of Shakespeare’s New Contemporaries, the ASC’s 20-year new play competition project to create a canon of companion plays for each of Shakespeare’s 38 plays. The first two winning playwrights of the $25k prizes will be announced in early spring of 2018.
Specific RESPONSIBILITIES Include
● Collaborate regularly with the Managing Director and Artistic Director to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation of the organization’s vision and direction.
● Oversee the planning and implementation of all marketing, public relations, publications, and sales programs to raise $1.9+ million in earned income through single ticket, season pass, merchandise, and bar sales annually.
● Collaborate in the planning and implementation of all marketing and public relations to raise $800,000+ in earned revenue through Educational programming and ASC on Tour.
● Shape public perception of the theatre through execution of brand identity through print communications, publications, electronic media, media relations, public events, and physical spaces.
● Develop and manage annual Marketing expense budgets.
● Work as part of Senior Management Team on short and long-term strategic issues.
● Lead team of staff, vendors, and consultants to achieve annual and long-range goals.
● Cultivate an innovative working environment that enables growth in new technology and marketing practices to ensure the Center’s vitality.
● Develop community ties and serve on committees to further develop the profile of arts within the city and state.
● Lead initiatives to achieve goals defined in the Center’s strategic plan, and further develop long-range audience development goals and strategies.
● Expand public relations efforts to increase national profile, as well as increase local awareness of the Center’s national and international programs like Shakespeare’s New Contemporaries, ASC on Tour, and the Blackfriars Conference.
● Collaborate with other internal departments to improve the patrons’ experience of the Center’s programs and physical space.
● Collaborate with the Director of Mission as well as the Development, Education, and Tour Departments to integrate organizational strategy and customer relationship management in marketing and fundraising efforts, and with the Box Office to increase sales and ensure excellent customer service.
● Serve as staff liaison to the Marketing Task Forces of the Board.
● Excellent managerial and team building ability
● Effective communication skills
● Computer and internet proficiency
● Strategic and analytical skills
● Ability to work at the conceptual level as well as the implementation phase
● A genuine interest in and knowledge of the theatre
● Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task
● Strong writing skills
● Experience with PatronManager CRM or other similar system(s)
The successful candidate will have 5-10 years’ experience in marketing, communications, or a related field. He or she will have proven initiative and will be a goal-oriented innovative thinker. The ideal candidate will be flexible with the ability to work independently and as part of a team, and will be able to work successfully under pressure and meet deadlines and goals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range is mid-$50k. Position includes health insurance and generous paid time off.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples, to Amy Wratchford, Managing Director, via email at Amy@AmericanShakespeareCenter.com.
The American Shakespeare Center values and supports collaboration, inclusion, and work/life balance. Our home in Staunton, Virginia supports these values with a livable, walkable downtown; low cost of living; diverse arts opportunities; easy access to cities like Richmond, Charlotte, and Washington, DC; and abundant outdoor activities in the surrounding Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains.