ASCTC Show Director
Show Directors are responsible for one of three plays ASCTC produces each session. In addition to usual directorial duties, show directors should be professional role models and comfortable in a mentorship position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Candidates must be 21 or older
- A minimum BA or BFA (or equivalent professional directing and teaching experience)
- Experience working with both Shakespeare’s staging conditions and the ASCTC demographic of young actors is strongly preferred.
- Show Directors are also invited to teach workshops, give lectures, and help with monologue coaching – applicants who are able and willing to do so are greatly preferred.
BEFORE CAMP: SCRIPT PREPARATION, ORIENTATION, AND PRODUCTION MEETINGS
- Cut the base text provided by the Camp Director to a 60-minute performance length.
- All cuts are subject to approval by the Camp Director.
- First cuts are due April 1.
- Create several potential doubling charts using different cast sizes in order to ensure flexibility in the casting sessions.
- Begin design conversations with RDAs and production interns during the Spring
- Present design plan to Camp Director and Camp Life Coordinator during Orientation
DURING CAMP: AUDITIONS, REHEARSALS, AND TEACHING
- Attend unified auditions
- Participate in the session-wide casting session
- Manage your artistic team of two RDAs and a production intern over the three-week rehearsal period.
- Work with campers in the rehearsal room for a minimum of 3 hours daily, 6 days per week, for 3 weeks.
- Teach workshops and give lectures as qualified
- Help with monologue coaching as needed
- Contribute content and posts to the camp blog at least twice: once before camp begins and once during the session
- Regular progress meetings with Camp Director (weekly at minimum)
Session 1: June 15 – July 8, 2018 (Session starts June 17)
Session 2: July 13 – August 5, 2018 (Session starts July 15)
$2,000 per session
Housing and one meal per day provided during employment period